The objective of the programme is to acquire a deep understanding of the key aspects of the processes involved in the set-up of biotechnology-based companies, fundraising with private equity to develop the drug candidate, and the relationships between global departments of the pharmaceutical industry in order to develop later stages of clinical trials.
Develop your career in business management in biotechnology
The main roles in companies related to these areas of knowledge are those such as: investment analyst, innovation science liaison, project leader, business development, financial consultant among other corporate positions at biotechnology-based companies or the pharmaceutical industry and other companies related to healthcare.
add_circle_outline1st Semester Module I - Management in Biotechnology
• Early-stage innovation & Technology Transfer. During this first course you will acquire the bases of innovation and technology transfer processes, as well as understanding the type of licensing agreements and the strategic approach.
• Venture Capital and Biotechnology Based Companies. This part of the course will give you and global overview of the financial markets and more specifically the biotech market. The aim is to acquire a solid financial base in private funding.
• Market Access and Pricing. This introductory module will give you a deep overview on the main analysis and value dossiers, between the private industry and the national healthcare systems and the strategic design for accessing new drugs.
• Intellectual Property & Licensing Agreements. The focus of this part of the module is learning about how a global perceptive in management and team leadership is necessary in global companies to achieve goals due portfolio management and new compounds.
add_circle_outline1st Semester Module II - Scientific & Regulatory Development
• Target Product Profile (TPP)
• Regulatory Affairs for FDA/EMA Approval
• Regulatory preclinical developments for new entities
• Regulatory clinical developments for new entities
add_circle_outline1st Semester Module III - Global Pharmaceutical Industry
• Market Intelligence & Portfolio Management
• Global Brand Plans
• Patient Journey & Market Disease
• Agreements & Contracts in the industry
add_circle_outline2nd Semester Module IV - Biotechnology Based Companies
• Financial Markets
• Financial Management
• Financial Ratios and Analysis
• Project Management
add_circle_outline2nd Semester Module V - Capital Increase
• Public and Private Funding
• Early Market Access and Pricing
• Financial models
• Venture Valuations
add_circle_outline2nd Semester Module VI - Agreements and Negotiations
• Deal Structure and Milestones
• Initial Public Offers IPO’s
• M&A vs Late-Stage Licensing
• Strategic alliances
add_circle_outline2nd Semester Module VII - Return of investment Strategy (sROI)
• Private and Public Companies
• Scouting Strategy
• Shareholders Agreement
• Exist Strategy and ROI
add_circle_outlineModule VIII - MBA Thesis Project
• Company Valuation & Deal Proposal. During the MBA year our students have the unique opportunity to work under a non-disclosure agreement with real IP drug candidates from our technology transfers partners acquiring a deep knowledge of the key management areas in a drug development from an early-stage drug candidate until is the treatment is approved and delivered to the patient.
• Areas of development: The Global MBA thesis is design, on one hand, to develop interpersonal and team leadership skills while developing the plan working groups with candidates from other itineraries, and on the other hand, to increase the international strategic thinking and the decision-making process with our educational partners for a final proposal in a real drug discovery business plan.
add_circle_outlineModule IX - Career Impact Program
• This module is design for our students to achieve their professional goals developing professional and personal tools to position themselves as candidates for management positions in the industry, and also, to understand how to approach a global portfolio of job application opportunities and recruitment processes.
• Areas of development: The main areas of focus during the MBA career impact programme are the professional positioning and enhancement of our students, the international network development and the improvement of key business and soft personal skills.
Understand the financials of Life Sciences
The main areas of work and topics are related with corporate management, entrepreneurship and innovation, financial valuations in biotech markets, venture funding and private equity and international business development in the life sciences sector.
The BBI MBAs and Executive Programmes give the students applied knowledge about the Biotechnology sector beyond the laboratory, opening a new wide range of professional development and career opportunities
Esther Riambau - Life Science Director at UPF Ventures
We motivate entrepreneurship and innovation in Life Sciences. The students will not only acquire theoretical knowledge throughout the course, but also become an active part of the sector from the first day
William Hariri – Vice President at Locust Walk
The master's programs cover a growing unsatisfied necessity for scientific profiles that want to orient the professional career towards management, business and investment in applied research
Mireia Angulo - Senior Investment Analyst at Caixa Capital Risk
The greatest thing is that all the Alumni are now part of the Biotech and Pharma sector, each of us growing in our own way and still doing science.
Acquiring a global perspective of capital markets in biotechnology and understanding the investment analysis process, is a crucial step towards a financial career development in private equity and corporate management in biotechnology venture funds